Port lights!

Not sure how this is supposed to be done, but here is how I did it and it worked well enough. I taped my pattern board and both port lights together. I used a carbide bit without the aggressive fluted tip in my Harbor Freight drill press.

IMG_20160528_102106253

A Couple of boards gave support and a backing for the bottom piece for the bit to cut into. RPM at about 1000 and it seemed that I could have gone down to 850, but it was working, so I continued. I did get some minor breakout from the bottom plastic; either the board was too soft, or I was not holding it down tightly enough. But in any case it was minor and I used that side against the cabin side.IMG_20160528_103534454

 

One of the port lights. Grey tint.

IMG_20160528_110542651_HDR

 

Since the pattern was not perfectly symmetrical (and therefore neither were the holes), I carefully matched up the possibilities and taped each port light to the cabin and marked the holes. The SS screws I used were number 6’s and I drilled 1/4″ holes to allow for expansion. Also careful labeling as I can mirror image with the best of them!

IMG_20160528_112544189_HDR

A quick look at how it might look when done. I worry that they are too large for the cabin.IMG_20160528_112557659

 

Having traced around the plastic before removing it, I then used the marks for masking off to keep the 795 glazing compound under control.IMG_20160528_130638169

 

 

I was obviously going to need help for this procedure, so I set up an indoor and outdoor parts bin for each of us. Each of the 32 holes requires 6 pieces of hardware! Only five shown here as I superglued the washer between the cabin and plastic to the plastic before hand. Imagine trying to get those in while dodging the compound and curvature of the cabin side!

IMG_20160528_160043251

 

 

Here is helper Willie Anderson, brother in law, admiring his inside work from the outside! He did a good job…

IMG_20160528_175602600

Another shot of results…IMG_20160528_175619491_HDR

 

 

A Final shot without Willie messing up the photo! 🙂

IMG_20160528_184323284

I was really dreading this as so much can go wrong with a new (to me) task. But it went well enough; not a neat as I would have liked, but acceptable.

Tomorrow the boomkin pieces, some trailer bunks/guides, and maybe a new trailer light bar for hanging on the stern, Also have to change the oil/filter in the car and pull the #4 cylinder spark plug to check for fouling. Loose mount bolt for the spark coil had it missing for a good while before it threw a code so I could identify which of the six cylinders was at fault.

Plus other stuff, of course!

Un Abrazo,

Bill

Advertisements

3 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Larry Whited
    May 28, 2016 @ 20:35:32

    Impressive!

    Reply

  2. hylton
    May 29, 2016 @ 02:27:02

    Looking good, now make a couple of spares for later.

    Reply

  3. W. P. Moffitt
    May 29, 2016 @ 09:02:29

    Why/ Nothing can possibly go wrong! (I will save the template…)

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: